Picture this - you have put a lot of effort into every bit of your wedding vision, from finding the perfect dress to hiring your dream decorator. But, sadly, your wedding pictures do not do justice in capturing the beauty of that day. Situations like this remind us how important choosing your wedding photographer is, ensuring that those precious moments are captured perfectly.
There are many ways to find the wedding vendor of your dreams, one of the easiest is through referrals. In times without referrals, you should do enough research to find a vendor that you would enjoy working with and one that resonates with your wedding vision.
Think of it this way, whoever you choose as your wedding photography team would spend the whole day with you, from the bride and groom prep to taking your vows and celebrating with your loved ones on the dance floor.
Not sure where to start when it comes to researching? Begin by preparing a list of prospective wedding photographers, reach out and ask some relevant questions. So what important questions should you ask? First and most importantly, make sure they have your wedding date available. If they do, you can then ask these 27 questions to narrow down your choices and find the perfect wedding photographer for you.
- How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings have you photographed?
- Do you often shoot weddings that have a similar size and style to the one we are planning?
- What kind of weddings have you shot in the past? (i.e., traditional weddings, court weddings, etc.)
- Would you need to check the venue(s) out in advance?
- Have you ever worked with our planner?
- How would you describe your photography style?
- Tip: look through the social media pages of photographers, as they tend to share their previous works here
- How would you describe your working style? Do you prefer to take candid moments or choreographed images, or both?
Pricing and Packages
- What are your wedding packages, and what do they include?
- Tip: agree on how much to allocate as your photography budget, and select a package within this package
- Can I customize a package to fit my needs?
- Always ask this question; most professional photographers are flexible with their prices.
- Do you include pre-wedding shoots in your packages? What about pre-wedding events like rehearsal dinners?
- You want to avoid any surprises, get all the required info!
- How many hours do the packages include? How much do extra hours cost?
- Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
- Most photographers have a radius outside of which they charge a travel fee. Over a certain distance, you may also be required to pay for your photographer’s lodging.
Prints and Albums
- How many framed pictures and albums do you get with our package?
- What type of album do you offer? Do you provide assistance selecting images and designing the album?
- How many pictures will the albums include?
- How long after the wedding will we receive the photos? How will they be delivered?
- Will we have the rights to the pictures?
- Will we receive all the raw photos? Is there a fee for that?
- Will the images be accessible online? For how long?
- When will we receive the contract?
- How much deposit do you require? When is it due?
- Do you accept payments in installations?
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?
- Do you work with a team? If yes, how many people should we expect?
- What is the backup plan if you cannot shoot my wedding for an unexpected reason?
- Can we request a list of specific shots we would like?
- Will you be posting about our wedding on your website and social media?